crown is used when repair a tooth by capping the tooth with dental cement. Crowns are generally used to improve the strength or appearance of the tooth. A dental impression usually takes place in order to fabricate the crown. Several different materials are used to restore the tooth including:
- Gold: Usually used on the back teeth due to aesthetics. It is also easier to use and less tooth has to be drilled away.
- Porcelain: Aesthetically more appealing and appear very natural.
Crowns are needed to protect weak, broken, worn down teeth. It also covers a tooth with a large filling, dental implant, or dental bridge.
bridge is used to repair a missing tooth by joining permanently to adjoining teeth or dental implants. It is an alternative to dentures or dental implants. Bridges are essential because the missing tooth can cause other teeth to shift and can possibly lead to gum disease. Similar to crowns different materials can be used.
Benefits of Dental Bridges:
- Maintain the shape of the face
- Prevents moving and erosion
- Restore ability to chew properly
- Restore smile
- Lasts a long time
- Aesthetically appealing